Monday, January 9, 2012

Bourbon & Cigars



Bourbon & Cigars 101
:
Taste and Aroma–

My first experience with cigars stems back once again to my childhood since not only did my great grandpa drink whiskey, but he also enjoyed his stogies on a regular basis. Of course he smoked the inexpensive White Owl brand with the plastic tip built into one end. No fancy cutter or custom lighter to kick these cigars into gear. I have to confess in remembering that I did not fully enjoy the cigar smoke as much as I enjoyed playing cocktail hour with my grandpa’s whiskies.
Fast forward to the first time I was given a cigar to try. Four years ago at the Scotch Malt Whisky Society tasting in San Francisco was the first time I was handed a cigar to smoke during a tasting. The cigar was meant to enjoy with one of the many scotches we had to choose from that evening. Although it was fun enjoying that cigar while hanging out with the boys outside after the tasting, my cigar education did not occur until after that evening.
The next time I was given a cigar was at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival during their Bourbon, Cigars, and Jazz event. It was so refreshing to see so many women of all ages enjoying their cigars and bourbon. Not an experience we see very often in the West.
The in depth education did not actually begin until last March when I went into a cigar bar in the city to research how to pair Port with Cigars for an event we were thinking about holding at the wine bar I was managing at the time. I went to learn the proper way to choose, cut, light, and smoke a cigar. There was definitely a lot to learn!
Steps 1. Prepare the cigar.................Read more at angelssharemag.com

No comments:

Post a Comment